About Me

I am a PhD student in Philosophy at Peking University, now staying at Universität zu Köln, Germany. My interests are primarily in Philosophy of Mind, Epistemology and Analytic Phenomenology. Now I am working on my Dissertation: Method, Intentionality, and Knowledge--An essay in analytic phenomenology. --------- I also have substantial interest in Early Modern Philosophy, Political Philosophy and Ethics.

Monday, July 6, 2009

Grammatical Jokes. Atom is Bigger Than Universe

There are some deep jokes because of the abuse of grammar.
I think one of my professors used to tell a joke like this:
An atom is bigger than nothing.
Nothing is bigger than the Universe.
..............................................................
Therefore: An atom is bigger than the Universe. (Rule of Transitivity)

Or this one:
The Witch: Alice, could please find out what is happening outside, I am blind and cannot see.
Alice: It is very dark outside, I see Nothing!
The Witch: Ah! Your eyesight is indeed very good, you can see Nothing!

Or the following, which is my own:
90% of the brain is water.
Mind is Brain (Identity Theorists Position)
-------------------------------------------
90% of the Mind is water!

Not Funny at All?
脑子进水了,还不是一点!

不过你知道为什么脑子进水还是这么聪明么?看了下面的图片你就知道了。
解释下:比利时鲁汶大学附近的一个雕像,看样子是脑子进水,但是名字是·智慧之泉。
Fons Sapientiae,FOUNTAIN OF WISDOM


脑子进水了,一直在进!


Wittgenstein:The (philosophical) problems arising through a misinterpretation of our forms of language have the character of depth. They are deep disquietudes, there roots are as deep in us as the forms of our language and their significance is as great as the importance of our language.--Let us ask ourselves: why do we feel a grammatical joke to be deep? (PI, 111)

No comments: