About Me

I am a PhD student in Philosophy at Peking University, now staying at Universität zu Köln, Germany. My interests are primarily in Philosophy of Mind, Epistemology and Analytic Phenomenology. Now I am working on my Dissertation: Method, Intentionality, and Knowledge--An essay in analytic phenomenology. --------- I also have substantial interest in Early Modern Philosophy, Political Philosophy and Ethics.

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Husserl is the first one who uses TwinEarth Thought Experiment

Quite fanscinating:
Wie aber, wenn auf zwei Himmelskörpern zwei Menschen in völlig gleicher Umgebungserscheinung "dieselben" Gegenstände vorstellen und danach "dieselben" Aussagen orientieren? Hat das "dies" in beiden Fällen nicht eine verschiedene Bedeutung?(Hua XXVI,211-212,Vorlesungen über Bedeutungslehre)

My translation:
But how is it, when two people living on two planets,with entirely identical appearance of enviroments, represent the same objects, and then orient to have expression of the samething? Do not the "the" in both situations have the same meaning?
(Lectures on Theory of Meaning)

And now, guess what Husserl's Answer is!

No comments: