About Me

I am a PhD student in Philosophy at Peking University, now staying at Universität zu Köln, Germany. My interests are primarily in Philosophy of Mind, Epistemology and Analytic Phenomenology. Now I am working on my Dissertation: Method, Intentionality, and Knowledge--An essay in analytic phenomenology. --------- I also have substantial interest in Early Modern Philosophy, Political Philosophy and Ethics.

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Four Principles of Phenomenology

1.Consciousness has Phenomenological Features.
2.Phenomenological Constraint on Theories of Consciousness:(x)(if x is a theory of consciousness,then, it must obey the right phenomenological description of consciousness)
3. Principle of Reflexivability: (x)(if x is a phenomenological feature of consciousness, then, it is accessible to reflexion in principle)
4. Principle of Describability: (x) (if x is a phenomenolgical feature of consciousness & if it is reflected upon, then, x must be describable in principle).

This is my formulation of some principles I find in Husserl's phenomenology.

I find 1, 2,3 apparently convincing, but with regard to 3, I suspect that it is true, because the language we use does not seem to be able to describe everything we see in great details, esp. when it comes to consciousness. And unfortunately, this seems to bring some damage to the other two principles(2,3).

No comments: